Re: [ITP]: Berkley DB v2

Nicholas Wourms wrote:

Gerrit Haase and I will be submitting various versions of the Berkeley DB for inclusion into the cygwin distribution. We begin with the Berkley DB2, which is the first major revision of the original Berkeley DB. The version of db-2 is 2.7.7, which is the last stable version released for the db-2 line. There are many projects which can use the db-2, one such project being xemacs. Our intent is to provide the standard database api's in the same manner as redhat

Red Hat  <g>

does, by partitioning the libraries

libraries^Winclude files

in their own directory based on revision number. Post-install will then create symbolic links to the most current version. Previous versions can be specified by explicitly declaring the path to the particular version's directory or

directory or^W^Wheader directory, AND ...

explicitly linking to that

library

version. For example "-L/usr/lib/db2 -ldb" or "-ldb2".

No. -I/usr/include/db2 (to get the right headers when compiling) and -ldb2 when linking is the only way to ALWAYS get db2.

There is no /usr/lib/db2/ directory.

If you don't specify any special -I dir for db headers (e.g. only look in the "standard" /usr/include place) and just use -ldb as your link flag -- you'll get "the most recent" db library, thanks to the symlinks. Right now, that's db2. Later it will be db3.3, and even later you'll get db4.0.

The packages for db-2 are based on packaging method #2 and were done originally by Charles Wilson and Harold Hunt. We have volunteered to maintain them for them, as they have other projects to work on. The packages have been split up into the following:

http://today.clemson.edu/cygwin/release/db/db2/setup.hint
http://today.clemson.edu/cygwin/release/db/db2/db-2.7.7-3.tar.bz2
http://today.clemson.edu/cygwin/release/db/db2/db-2.7.7-3-src.tar.bz2
http://today.clemson.edu/cygwin/release/db/db2/libdb2/setup.hint
http://today.clemson.edu/cygwin/release/db/db2/libdb2/libdb2-2.7.7-3.tar.bz2
http://today.clemson.edu/cygwin/release/db/db2/libdb2-devel/setup.hint
http://today.clemson.edu/cygwin/release/db/db2/libdb2-devel/libdb2-devel-2.7.7-3.tar.bz2

Looks good to me (of course <g>) +1 from me. The only "errors" I see are in your email, not the packages or the readme. :-)

--Chuck

P.S. Thanks for doing this.