Re: new package offering: zsh

Peter A. Castro wrote:

> On Wed, 22 May 2002, Charles Wilson wrote:
>

>>No -- if zsh can handle cr+lf internally, then let it do so.  Explicitly
>>open function files in binary mode -- this will override the "textmode
>>mount" which sets the default read mode.
>>

> zsh uses the open() call, not fopen().  There is no "binary" vs. "text"
> mode to specify.  Theoretically, open() should be opening the file in
> binary mode already (ie: no text translation/interpretation), yet the
> data read in clearly is being cooked under some scenarios.  No, if I
> understand how things are work here, I believe the carriage control
> processing is being done at the filesystem level, which is below open()
> and beyond my control.
> But, like I said, if this causes enough trouble for people, I'll update
> the code to be more relaxed on the size checking.

You can use the "O_BINARY" flag in open() calls -- but since some
platforms don't define it, you must include something like

#ifndef O_BINARY
#define O_BINARY 0
#endif

somewhere in zsh's header files....

open() will still obey the default mount mode settings of the underlying
cygwin system; that is, if the file is on a text mount, it will be
opened using CR/LF-->LF translation.   If the file is on a binary mount,
it will be opened in O_BINARY mode.

include O_BINARY in your open call to force binary mode on the file.

But, an ounce of experience is worth a pound of theory...all I've got is
theory. :-)

--Chuck