RE: binutils status?

But it's not complete. One cannot link against all .dll's with
auto-import, and no speed tests of normal vs auto-import have been
seriously conducted. I still maintain that a profile driven
recompile+link is the way to go, and that when that's done auto-import
can be tossed out.

> I look at auto-import as "the new and better and more unixlike way of
> building shared libs".  You seem to view them as "nice
> feature, but you
> really ought to do it the old-fashioned way".  In my view,
> the warnings
> go away eventually -- they were just there during the "trial phase",
> which has now stretched to a REALLY long time.  In your view, the
> warnings are TRUE warnings about BAD programming practice,
> and stay forever.

The warnings should stay IMO. They aren't errors, but they are
important.

> > I like to now about unresolved data
> > references.  I would really like to see how --auto-import works with
> > new C++ ABI before I am comfortable with that switch being on by
> > default.
>

> Well, now, that's something I hadn't considered.  Good point.
>  Warnings
> should probably stay, then.  But that doesn't mean that auto-import
> shouldn't become the default.

For Danny - you can always build with --no-auto-import if you need the
original behaviour for some project. I think that auto-import should be
the default for cygwin, for now. It's too useful in the common case to
be disabled.

Rob