Fwd: Re: RFP: boost libraries

See attached.

Jason
--- Begin Message ---
Background for people on the boost developers list: the cygwin project
has asked us if we have an interest in publishing boost packages for
cygwin.

Let me try to explain the situation (somebody please cross-post this to
cygwin-apps@cygwin.com since I don't have posting privileges there):

* Boost is a collection of libraries

* Most of these libraries are just C++ templates in header files

* Three of these libraries have built components

* There is already a DLL version of the Boost.Regex and Python libs (the
static lib version of Boost.Python is available but deprecated).

* The threads lib consists of static and dynamic components on Win32,
unless you want it to use pthreads-win32 (an extra layer of indirection
and overhead). I don't think there is a more-appropriate configuration

* Nobody has decided what an appropriate unix-style installation for
boost would look like (where the headers live, how the libs should be
named and versioned, what symlinks to make, etc.). We need guidance on
this. Normally we tell people to download the boost tree, put the root
in their #include path, build the libraries, manually collect them and
put them wherever they want. There has been increasing dissatisfaction
with this approach.

I'd very much like to solve the latter problem; it is generating a huge
amount of wasted effort on my part and others'.

-Dfave