RE: setup changes to build standalone

Sure. I'm not relying on gnu make features though. Also make dist-all
while again, not rocket science, is very useful. And I'm -sure- that its
more that 1 line to create that for each package.

> Because of the horrors of automake, we've implemented a sane
> set of make rules, mainly for LilyPond, that has all these
> features and allows

I'll have a look at some point. I actually find automake much less
horrible that doing everything by hand. Anyway, this is off-topic here -
unless you are objecting to setup being automakified?

> > e) non-recursive makefiles of a reasonable size.
>
> a make file for a library or executable typically about 10 lines long.

Ermm, most of my projects have much more than 10 lines just listing the
source. (And before you bring up wildcards, I don't like them and
wouldn't use them even if they where available in automake. I like
knowing exactly what is in the package.)

Rob