RE: setup changes to build standalone

Heh. The main things I get from automake is
a) make dist. I _love_ this so much it ain't funny.
b) all the 'stock' rules - so that things like make clean _always_ hit
all subdirs etc etc.
c) consistent VPATH support.
d) multicompiler dependencies (not that I personally use it much, I'm
gcc most everywhere)
e) non-recursive makefiles of a reasonable size.

Makefile.in's aren't good or bad in raw form IMO.

Rob