open-file replacements with win9x

We've got a problem folks:

>From MSDN

===
To rename or delete a file on Windows 95/98/Me

Check for the existence of the WININIT.INI file in the Windows
directory.
If WININIT.INI exists, open it and add new entries to the existing
[rename] section. If the file does not exist, create the file and create
a [rename] section.
Add lines of the following format to the [rename] section:
DestinationFileName=SourceFileName
Both DestinationFileName and SourceFileName must be short file names. To
delete a file, use NUL as the value for DestinationFileName.
===

Note that both files must be shortnames. I had _assumed_ that the OS
would preserve the attached long file name. But (as the list records
show)... I had not been able to test it to see that this was indeed the
behaviour we would get.

If anyone with a 16 bit windows box out there has the time to do some
test cases and see if my assumption was wrong, or if the current
reported case was a fluke that went wrong, that would be great.

As to _why_ 600 odd files needed replacing, I've yet to look closely at
that aspect.

Rob