Re: Keeping base, adding standard.

Charles Wilson wrote:

> Robert Collins wrote:
>
>>> Again, you're inventing another layer that I maintain will only
>>> confuse things.
>>>
>> I see your point.

[SNIP]

> Red Hat Linux's installation (used to, perhaps still does) separate
> the concept of "Installation Type" and "Individual Package Selection".
> You'd pick "Workstation Install" and that would preselect a bunch of
> pacakges, or you'd pick "Server Install" and that would preselect a
> different set of packages.  Of course, there was ALSO the option of
> continuing to the detailed package selection step, where you could
> override those choice: don't install some packages that were
> auto-selected by the Installation Type choice, or DO install other
> packages that were not auto-selected.

So, how about the first(?) page being "Workstation Install", "Server
Install", . . . "Custom Install"?
Hey, looks like many commercial installers that do just that.  {Well,
they do "Minimal" "Complete" "Custom", or the like).

--
David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate
"By God's Grace I am a Christian man, by my actions a great sinner." -- The Way of a Pilgrim; R. M. French, tr.