Re: reducing binary distribution size with UPX

On Fri, Mar 15, 2002 at 01:48:13PM +0100, Lapo Luchini wrote:
>> Uhmm, UPX should be part of the distribution first, as a maintained
>> pacakge, before folk start packing distributed binaries with it. Do we
>> have a volunteer to maintain UPX?
>
>UPX is quite cross-platform: you can use win32 version to package lonux
>a.out such as linux verison to package win32 PE.
>Moreover an UPX-compressed EXE is completely self-sufficient from UPX
>itself, has no memory overhead and decompresses very very fast (10Mb/sec
>on the author's Pentium133 as upx.sourceforge.net says).
>But if a cygwin native version is needed nonetheless I could volunteer to
>package it.

I think this is a useful addition to the cygwin packages but I don't see
why it should be a requirement that it be available as a package before
people start using it.

It sounds from your description like I'll be able to run this on linux,
where I make all of my packages.  Is that right?  That's the only way
this will be useful for me.