Re: setup.exe copyright?

===
----- Original Message -----
From: "Christopher Faylor" <cgf@redhat.com>
To: <cygwin-apps@cygwin.com>
Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2002 5:38 PM
Subject: setup.exe copyright?

> I just perused the setup.exe source for the first time in a long time
> and found a few copyrights from a few different people.
>
> Does this mean that the copyright message that shows up in the initial
> setup.exe screen has to be modified?  Or has that happened already?  I
> haven't built setup.exe in a while.

I didn't think there was an issue... but I guess there may be.
IANALAIDWTBO. How about "Portions copyright 200,2001 Red Hat Inc." or
does that seem to diminishing to the Red Hat contribution?

I don't think that every net contributor can (or should) be represented
on the binary splash screen. It's a group effort after all (or is
rapidly becoming so :]).

Certainly, the original work is (C) Red Hat, and GPL wise every
contributed source file does _not_ incur the requirement to show it's
(c) holder as - they are not individual programs that show (c) notices
in any shapre or form, and the GPL talks about (c) in two relevant
contexts, one the source files (done appropriately), and the other the
display of (c) by the program created by the individual who placed the
original work under GPL.

Rob