Re: broken setup.hint files

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jan Nieuwenhuizen" <janneke@gnu.org>

> Charles Wilson <cwilson@ece.gatech.edu> writes:
>
> So, after reading this and the setup.hint spec on cygwin.com, I
> implemented hinting, in gen-ini.sh and it *broke* setup.exe.  So, I
> considered it a bug, and wanted you to know about it.  But if you
> don't care, fine.

Hangong, you've made an assumption: namely that setup.hint == setup.ini.
That's not true.
setup.hint is a preprocessor directive frile for upset that generates
version numbers and the appropriate layout for setup.ini. They are _not_
meant to be includable in setup.ini per se.

The setup.ini spec is not documented outside inilex.l unfortunately. I
will document these two things as being separate when I next reboot.

> > Sometimes (when upset's automatic version parser fails)
>
> Who is `upset'?  I haven't seen my version parser fail, but in general
> one should not provide the same information from two sources.  Which
> do you trust when they do not match?  Why not just have a sane
> archive, or fix setup.ini by hand if you don't like it?

upset is the setup.hint->setup.ini + package scanner that runs
automatically on sources.redhat.

...skip comments predicated on invalid assumption...

Rob