Re: broken setup.hint files

Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> After I added setup.hint support to my gen-ini script, I found that
> quite some setup.hint files are broken.  Most of them could be fixed
> by doing:
>
>      hint="$(echo | cat $i/setup.hint - | grep -Ev '^(prev)|(curr|@) ' | sed -e 's/^\(\(category\)\|\(ldesc\)\|\(requires\)\|\(sdesc\)\|\(test\)\). */\1: /' | grep -v '^$')"

Ummm...they are not broken.  You just dislike some stylistic choices...

colons are optional, setup.hint doesn't NEED to have them.

Also, blindly removing the prev/curr/test markers is not a good thing
either.  Sometimes (when upset's automatic version parser fails) you
MUST sepecify curr/prev in the hint.  I don't know if any of the hint
files you list below include the curr/prev markers for that reason, or if:

the hints may just be old.  Originally, the spec for hint files said
"include curr and prev fields".  Later, it was changed to "that often
causes confusion when folks forget to update the setup.hint.  Don't
include curr/prev fields unless you must"

In my case, I will update a given setup.hint to follow that new
*recommendation* (not requirement) the next time I update the package
controlled by it, and not until then.  If it ain't broken (and it ain't)
then don't fix it.

> I found these
>
>     ncurses
>     jpeg