Re: Remove cinstall src directory from snapshots

On 23 Nov 2001 at 17:37, the Illustrious Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 22, 2001 at 07:03:11PM +1100, Robert Collins wrote:

	I can't speak for Robert, so what follows changes in deference to the Cygwin Setup.exe maintainers' reply and
should only be thought of as one persons experience with Cygwin Setup.exe.  There is an added assumption I am
including, that whoever is building setup.exe is at least advanced enough to deal with multiple Windows platform
development considerations as well as multiple language development considerations (such as C/C++).

	I have personally attempted to build setup.exe using only the winsup/cinstall source within the Cygwin
environment.  Initial Setup.exe build failed (first run).

	Whether it was due to inexperience with building setup.exe or due to something else, I ended up resorting to a
complete rebuild of cygwin1.dll before setup.exe would even begin to link properly (second run).  It still failed on second
run.  By that point, however, I had a very good idea of what was needed before a so-called "clean" build of Setup.exe could
be generated.

	So, to address the query cgf presented, the possibility is definitely there that someone may attempt to rebuild all
of Cygwin from nothing but the winsup/utils.  We already know that Setup.exe has a certain dependency, in its current
form, on cygwin1.dll as well as several other utilities (bash, bz2, zlib, etc.) that may or may not be included as part of a
winsup/utils source collection.

	If you mean the entire Cygwin Tool Set, I would say it is "highly" unlikely that anyone who knows even a little
about multi-platform development (specifically Windows/*nix) would ever want to be required to rebuild the entire Cygwin
Tool Set every time a new version of Setup.exe was generated.

	Paul G.