Re: spell & ispell

Pierre,

On Mon, Nov 19, 2001 at 02:33:29PM -0500, Pierre A. Humblet wrote:
> Christopher Faylor wrote:
> > That is not much of a disadvantage, IMO.  If it works as well as ispell
> > for every language besides English and works better for English then
> > aspell is better.
>
> I don't disagree. Although I am not a user of aspell, it looks like "it"
> (see * below) will eventually replace ispell. However I have no experience
> with it and looking at its home page http://aspell.sourceforge.net it doesn't
> seem to be stable. I'd rather not take responsibility for it at this point.

I can understand you reluctance, but I have been using aspell/pspell
as an ispell replacement for almost a year now.  My experience is that
it builds OOTB, works *much* better than ispell, easily drops in as an
ispell replacement, and has caused me no grief at all.

I hope that you reconsider.  Just in case, see attached for my build
recipe.

Thanks,
Jason
--- Begin Message ---
pspell:

    $ configure --disable-ltdl
    $ make
    $ make prefix=/tmp/pspell/usr/local install

aspell:

    $ configure
    $ make
    $ make prefix=/tmp/aspell/usr/local install
    $ cd /tmp/aspell
    $ strip usr/local/bin/*.exe
    $ strip -g usr/local/lib/libaspell.a

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235