Re: spell & ispell

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> Isn't aspell superior to ispell?  This is from the ispell web page:
>
> "What's the Difference Between Ispell and Aspell?
> Aspell is a spelling checker written by Kevin Atkinson.  Its primary
> advantage is that it is better at making suggestions when a word is
> seriously misspelled.  For example, when given "trubble", ispell will
> suggest only "rubble", where aspell suggests "trouble" (as its first
> choice" as well as "dribble", "rubble", and a lot of other words.  Its
> disadvantage is that the approximate-matching algorithm is specific to
> English."
>
> That is not much of a disadvantage, IMO.  If it works as well as ispell
> for every language besides English and works better for English then
> aspell is better.

I don't disagree. Although I am not a user of aspell, it looks like "it"
(see * below) will eventually replace ispell. However I have no experience
with it and looking at its home page http://aspell.sourceforge.net it doesn't
seem to be stable. I'd rather not take responsibility for it at this point.

(*) there is a proposed merge with pspell http://pspell.sourceforge.net/merge.html

So let me rephrase the question: is there value having ispell under setup (soon),
even if it is replaced some day by a/pspell, knowing that it is already available
on ftp.franken.de ?

Pierre