Re: "rsync -e ssh" hangs when lots of data is being transferred -- USE_PIPES in OpenSSH is the culprit

>  Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 21:01:45 +0100
>  From: Corinna Vinschen <vinschen@redhat.com>
>
>  Really, I don't know what to do here.

You're probably going to slap me for saying this, but perhaps we need
to provide separate ssh and sshd binaries for NT users.  Can we have
separate openssh and openssh-nt packages (does the newest setup.exe
allow setup.ini to specify that two packages conflict with each other,
such that only one of them can be installed)?  Alternatively, perhaps
we can ship both sets of binaries in the openssh package, with the
pipe-enabled versions installed by default, and have ssh-host-config
replace them with the socketpair-enabled versions on NT, 2k and XP
systems?

I'll be a bit impish and point out that 9x is the past, since XP is
NT-based, so perhaps we should favor solutions which work better on XP
over solutions that work better on 9x.  Yeah, yeah, I'm only kidding,
that's not a good idea yet, but there will come a time when it is.

>  I'm attempted to say, if rsync is the only application having that
>  sort of problems, it's worth that if OpenSSH works for _most_ 9x
>  users.

I doubt rsync is the only application that has or will have this
problem.  I assume that any application which does two-way data
transfers over ssh, e.g., cvs, sftp or ftp run over an SSH tunnel, or
even perhaps X connection forwarding, will occasionally encounter
similar problems.

  jik