Python _cursesmodule build problem (was Re: [RFD] ncurses update)

Chuck,

On Sat, Sep 15, 2001 at 03:03:16PM -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:
> #1. Now use the auto-import stuff instead of __declspec(dllXXport)
> modifiers.  No more need for *compile-time* flags at all; only linktime
> flags: -static or -Wl,--enable-auto-import.  However, ncurses does some
> of the "bad" things (the ones that today's binutils warns about, but the
> previous binutils created buggy code for).  The fix for this requires
> changes in the ncurses library code (specifically, configure using
> BROKEN_LINKER -- which changes some of the exported DATA into functions.
>   If you recompile apps, you don't need to worry about this though; it's
                               ^^^^
> transparently handled in ncurses_cfg.h/curses.h).

I submitted the attached patch in order for Python (specifically the
_cursesmodule module) to build cleanly again under the latest binutils.
The above seems to imply that I shouldn't need this patch.  Did I
misinterpret the above?

Thanks,
Jason