Re: berkeley db?

Gerrit P. Haase wrote:

> Hallo Cygwinners,
>
> I don't remember what the problem was with db-3.1.17, why was it not
> included in the dist?

1. new package moratorium
2. not fully ported (IMO, a library is fully ported when it (a) has no
remaining text/binary issues, (b) can be built as both a static lib and as
a DLL)
3. nobody volunteered to contribute, support, and maintain it

> For the upcoming release of perl-5.8 I really would like to have it
> available with Cygwin.
> I always used it with perl and other packages and I never had problems
> with this version.

That's a trap I fall into often.  *I* use package X, *I've* never had
problems -- but then, I use binary mounts and all my files have UNIX line
endings, and I never ever try to use notepad.

--Chuck