Re: /setup.html please read - feedback desired

On Sat, 2001-11-03 at 12:46, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 03, 2001 at 12:25:29PM +1100, Robert Collins wrote:
> >
> >i.e. I'd like to be able to say "cygupload -current package foobar.bz2"
> >and have that do the right thing.
>
> If cygupload puts the file on sources.redhat.com, then I'm in favor of
> that.  If it requires that you include '-current package', then I'm
> not sure that I am.

If package can always be inferred from the filename then package isn't
needed. The -current could be the default behaviour.. see more below.

> >These are rough thoughts, but does the direction seem reasonable?
>
> I think that putting data in setup.hint that can easily be inferred from
> file names does not make sense.  You can't infer the ldesc, sdesc,
> category, or requirements from the filename.  You can infer the version
> number.

You cannot infer the stability. Prev/curr/test actually covers two
different axes - prev/curr is (or looks like) a version axis, and
curr/test looks like a stability metric.
I'm suggesting that the upload tool needs to know how 'stable' a package
is. And that the three trust levels - prev, curr, test be updated
orthogonally to each other, with a simple command to indicate that a
test package is now stable, and likewise for stable->prev. (although as
stable-prev are on a different axis, having that pair auto migrate would
make sense to me)

> What I'm trying to say is that I don't see any reason to require
> setup.hint for the, IMO, normal cases.

Sure... but :}

> I think that the parser should handle this and I actually think that
> much or all of the setup.hint style information should be part of the
> package rather than external to it.  I think we probably agree on
> that.

Yes.

> However, if I produce a cygwin-1.3.59-1.tar.bz2 with no package info,
> I still think that 'upset' (the cygwin setup.ini updater) should
> be able to infer the info.

>From cygwin-1.3.59-1.tar.bz2, I can infer
package - cygwin
version - 1.3.59
suffix  - 1
I cannot infer
category
sdesc
ldesc
requires

And the whole point of the new setup is to stop user questions due to
missing requirements. category, sdesc and ldsesc are niceties, and not
mandatory.

So I think that a setup.hint containing a requires: line is _mandatory_
(at a minimum it should list cygwin if the program is linked to cygwin).

Rob