file handling in setup.exe

Warren, I intend to tackle some of the refactoring we were discussing.
One of the goals I've got for short-mid term is wrapped archives - a la
deb or rpm - and parts of what we've discussed are needed for that. I'm
not intending on duplicating all your effort though :}.

So, if you've got something half-way there, please feel free to drop a
patch in and we can discuss if part can be pulled out. Otherwise, I'll
start doing a bunch of incremental work targeting wrapped archives.

FYI wrapped archives are needed to allow locally discovered files to
list their categories without needing setup.ini to be edited.  (Which I
anticipate as being one of the first end-user comments once this gets
heavy use).

Rob