Re: cURL packaging progress

On Tue, Oct 16, 2001 at 09:22:58PM +0200, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
>> Roth, Kevin P. schrieb am 2001-10-16 15:00:
>
>I don't know whether you are subscribed now, so I send you this mail
>directly, too, but please let us use 'only' the list, I'm subscribed
>so I'm getting every mail twice.

>>> It is the same as in unix curl-1.2.3-x.tar.gz
>>> Main difference is the extension '-x' which is the release number.
>>> Sources should also unpack into '1.2.3-x'.
>>
>>I had already realized this convention. My question had more
>>to do with creating the build scripts. In Solaris, you have
>>"pkgadd" modules, in Linux you have RPM's... In Cygwin, is there
>>any standard name for a cygwin binary tarball?
>
>Not that I'm aware of at the moment.

I'm still not exactly sure what you're asking.  The tar files will be
named with the package name ("curl"), the version (1.2.3), and the
release number (1 in this case).  So, your release will be
curl-1.2.3.tar.bz2 (note that it should be bzipped).

The method for producing this package is not standardized in any way but
you already know that you should be installing in /usr/bin, /usr/share,
etc.  so you should be ok.

>>The binary cygwin installs should always install to /usr, but if
>>someone downloads the source for a cygwin package and makes it
>>themself, it will default to /usr/local. If they don't pay enough
>>attention, they'll end up with two different copies installed
>>(I did this with libtool by accident the first time). I assume then
>>that this is normal behavior, and is considered to be "OK"?
>
>Yes, if I build a package myself I will uninstall a cygwin package
>before doing it.  But also I'm installing 'standard' packages always
>in /usr so the original will be clobbered.

Right.  We don't change the standard installation.  If a user wants to
rebuild from scratch they have to be aware of all of the options that
allow them to recreate a cygwin installation.  Since we don't have
anything like RPM yet, this is their only option.