Re: GCC-3 additions

On Sun, Oct 14, 2001 at 02:32:15PM +1000, Danny Smith wrote:
>>I'd like to have fastcall conventions.  I think it is necessary if we
>>want gcc to be a replacement for MSVC.
>>
>I'll need to think about that.  Do I really want that?

I'd say that you would for your own peace of mind.

It cuts down on the "This compile well using Microsoft!  Why it not gcc!"
types of complaints.

>> Out of curiousity, how does fastcall differ from attribute ((regparm
>> (n)))?
>>

>Like stdcall, callee pops the stacks. In addition fastcall allocates the
>first two DWORD (SImode) or  smaller arguments to ECX and EDX.
>
>MS fastcall symbols have decoration similar to stdcall but with leading @
>eg @foo@nn/_imp_@foo@nn (note no underscore between _imp_ and @)

Duh, right.  Thanks for the explanation.  I actually knew all of this
once when I used to write fastcall functions in assembly.

I'll probably ask you to explain it again in four years.  :-)