Re: setup.ini, setup.hint, and update-setup

On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 05:20:42PM -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:
>While setup.exe can handle multi-line "ldesc" entries in setup.ini, the
>update-setup script used to generate that file from the setup.hint's
>will not create the correct results if the hint file has a multi-line
>ldesc entry.
>
>Question:
>
>There are two ways to address this, that I can see:
>  1) fix update-setup to deal with multi-line entries
>  2) require that all entries fit on a single line -- but it can be
>very long...
>
>I'm all for #2.  Comments?

I have a corollary question.  Can setup.exe deal with multi-line
ldesc's?  If not then we need to do some variation of 2.

>Oh, and one other thing: update-setup doesn't parse the "category" or
>"requires" entry from the hint file.

Right.  I mentioned this a while ago and Robert submitted a patch for
this but, frankly, I am not really looking for update-setup patches.

I'm not going to guarantee that update-setup is around for the long haul.
That's one reason why it is not publicly available.