Re: Forcing SYSTEMROOT (opinions needed)

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> > CF> of CYGWIN environment variables is already uncomfortably high.
>
> Ok, you are right that the number of settings is high but it's
> clear that the need for _some_ sort of settings to influence the
> behaviour of Cygwin is needed, though. And the increasing complexity
> of Cygwin will not lower the need for such settings.

Hmm...  I started to stop reading here and respond but resisted the urge
to do so.

> Excuse me but in my opinion it's not reasonable to avoid a possible
> (and perhaps needful) setting just because the already existing
> settings are too numerous from a rather subjective point of view.

Agree.

> Nevertheless I agree that the setting in an environment variable
> doesn't fit our needs in the future. Shouldn't we discuss creating
> a settings file which may override or supplement the CYGWIN environment
> variable settings?

Perhaps doing away with the CYGWIN environment variable altogether.

> We could add a CYGWIN setting ;-) like "settings_file:<DOS-PATH>"
> and the file could contain setting=value pairs one per line:
>
>     binmode=yes
>     check_case=relaxed
>     error_init=C:\Cygwin\bin\gdb.exe
>     ntsec=yes
>     smbntsec=no
>     tty=yes

Shouldn't this go into a /etc/cygwin.init file?  This would match the
way that UNIX sets up it's user supplied initialization values.

Earnie.