It's out there

cygwin 1.3.0 will soon be on the mirrors.  It's currently a "test"
version.

I'd appreciate early warnings from people who are brave enough to
try this.

The proposed announcement message is below.

cgf

I've made a new version of the Cygwin DLL and associated utilities
available for download.  I've also updated mingw and w32api.

This is a fairly major revision of Cygwin.  There are lots of bug
fixes and improvements.  That probably also means that there are a
lot of bugs.  I expect that we'll probably be releasing a 1.3.1
shortly to rectify any problems.

A partial list of what has changed is below.  If anyone who has
submitted changes that are not mentioned below wants to chime in, please
feel free.  Also, apologies if I didn't attribute your change to you.

To update your installation, click on the "Install Cygwin now" link on
the http://cygwin.com/ web page.  This downloads setup.exe to your
system.  Then, run setup and answer all of the questions.

Note that we have recently stopped downloads from sources.redhat.com
(aka cygwin.com) due to bandwidth limitations.  This means that you will
need to find a mirror which has this update.

In the US,
ftp://mirrors.rcn.net/mirrors/sources.redhat.com/cygwin/
is a reliable high bandwidth connection.

In Germany,
ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/cygwin/mirrors/cygnus/
is usually pretty good.

In the UK,
http://programming.ccp14.ac.uk/ftp-mirror/programming/cygwin/pub/cygwin/
is usually up-to-date within 48 hours.

If one of the above doesn't have the latest version of this package
then you can either wait for the site to be updated or find another
mirror.

The setup.exe program will figure out what needs to be updated on your
system and will install newer packages automatically.

If you have questions or comments, please send them to the Cygwin
mailing list at: cygwin@cygwin.com .  I would appreciate if you would
use this mailing list rather than emailing me directly.  This includes
ideas and comments about the setup utility or Cygwin in general.

If you want to make a point or ask a question, the Cygwin mailing list
is the appropriate place.

              *** CYGWIN-ANNOUNCE UNSUBSCRIBE INFO ***

If you want to unsubscribe from the cygwin-announce mailing list, look
at the "List-Unsubscribe: " tag in the email header of this message.
Send email to the address specified there.  It will be in the format:

Christopher Faylor
Cygwin Engineering Manager (and Developer)
Red Hat, Inc.

- Avoid crash if passwd field if /etc/group is empty. (Egor Duda)

- Fix for eight-bit character console I/O. (Benjamin Riefenstahl)

- Improve security of AF_UNIX sockets. (Egor Duda)

- Make sure that dummy sockets don't linger after they are destroyed.
  Fixes Cygwin XFree86 hanging problems?
  (Pierre A. Humblet)

- Implement more precise filename case tracking via CYGWIN=case_check.
  Not yet documented, see:
  http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-developers/2001-04/msg00050.html
  (Corinna Vinschen)

- Display Pentium IV as i686. (Christopher Faylor)

- Implement /dev/dsp. (Andy Younger)

- Implement tty insert mode (termcap im=). (Corinna Vinschen)

- Arbitrarily eliminate special handling of CTRL-Z in text mode. (Christopher Faylor)

- Report /cygdrive mounted directories in mount output. (Christopher Faylor)

- Fix restartable signal behavior when multiple signals arrive. (Christopher Faylor)

- Make mount output look more like UNIX.  (Christopher Faylor)

- mount/umount command-line parsing improvements. (Christopher Faylor)

- mmap improvements and bug fixes. (Corinna Vinschen)

- Implement lseek from end for floppy accesses. (Egor Duda)

- Rewrite of SIOCG* functions. (Corinna Vinschen)

- Fix handling of dlopen with a NULL argument. (Christophe Iasci)

- Fix blocking of SIGKILL and SIGSTOP. (Egor Duda)

- Export rand48 functions. (Kazuhiro Fujieda)

- Use Windows .lnk shortcut files for symbolic links
  by default.  (Corinna Vinschen)

- Implement settimeofday. (Mike Simons)

- Improve console handling.  Implement raw console I/O.  (Egor Duda)

- Fixes for tty CTRL-Z handling. (Christopher Faylor)

- Fixes for tty/pty handling -- prevent hangs.  (Egor Duda)

- Avoid reading file to determine if contains #! magic unless the
  program is checking for executable bits.  (Should result in modest
  performance improvement.) (Christopher Faylor)

- Allow use of both left and right Alt keys for Meta for English
  keyboards. (Jason Tiller)

- Attempt to fix various signal races.  (Christopher Faylor)

- Tweak action of _rename() function to return better errnos.
  (Kazuhiro Fujieda, Christopher Faylor)

- Fix incorrect exit when exec'ing a non-cygwin process. (Jason Gouger)

- Many pthread improvements and enhancements.  (Robert Collins)

- Fix EOF/Signal races that sometimes caused hangs with CTRL-Z.
  (Christopher Faylor, Egor Duda)

- Implement raw sockets.  (Mathew Brozowski)

- Fix pid scanning which broke 'kill -f'.  (Christopher Faylor)

- Add arguments to pathconf to allow checking for when full posix
  permissions are available. (Corinna Vinschen)

- Ensure that blocked signals are always delivered.  (Christopher Faylor)

- Implement saving/restoring of tty screen, just like vtxxx. (Corinna Vinschen)

- Fix behavior of chdir when called with a path containing trailing spaces.
  (Christopher Faylor)