RE: setup wishes -- any volunteers

the debian format does nested dependencies based on features (ie vi
requires curses, curses is supplied by ncurses, multi sources of
features - ncurses provides termcap, as does terminfo (yes I know these
aren't accurate :]). It has _many_ existing retrieval tools & formats
(http/ftp/file system/nfs/even rsync I think) and a build environment to
build the packages. (Oh, and a pretty wide volunteer developer base for
the format, so no commercial realities should intrude :]) [just ignoring
_my_ day job for a moment, which is not cygwin related...]

> You'd have to build a non-cygwin version of rpm to handle all of this.
> I don't know how feasible that would be.

It's not RPM. It's not a religious preference, but IMO the dpkg format
is much more flexible than rpm...

> It wouldn't be politically expedient for me to say no to RPM,
> of course.
> If you can come up with a plan to use it, I'd be interested.
>
> I think this is the way I answered the last time this question was
> raised.  At least I hope I did.
>
> cgf

Something similar for sure. Ok here's my plan

target 1) setup.exe can read and install (possibly via bootstrapping) a
dpkg package.
target 2) setup.exe can check dependecies on a dpkg package.
target 3) "workstation" "developer" "server" "everything" install sets.
target 4) make it pretty *

Rob

* I don't care about this bit. It's not terribly important. Ease of use
& reliability are important.