Re: setup wishes -- any volunteers

On Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 03:01:22PM -0500, Brian Keener wrote:
>First off to Ron - Congratulations. Happy Honeymoon
>
>Second to everyone else  - anyone want to take the current setup.ini and
>try to categorize each package according to what Chris is trying to
>accomplish here.  I don't know if I have enough experience/knowledge to
>know which packages are dependent on which or for that matter what
>category each might fall into.  Obviously some I could figure out but it
>might be nice if we could get a list started of all the current packages
>and identify some common codes for dependencies and categories.
>
>For example for categories we might have development, networking, shells,
>mail ...., Text editing.
>
>For dependencies I wonder do we want to try to group according to code or
>do we want to use a list of packages that must then in turn be parsed to
>determine the dependencies?  Point to ponder....

I was just thinking of using DJ's setup.hint file for most of this, although
I guess you could also have a setup.dep for dependencies and a setup.desc
for descriptions.  Hmm.  It does make sense to have specific files for
these, now that I think of it.

The dependencies will have to be nested so that gcc can depend on mingw
which depends on w32api (to use a slightly inaccurate example).  That
means that the setup.exe code would have to be detect cycles.  Or, maybe
the update-setup script that we run on cygwin.com would be enough for this.

I think it would be desirable to include a package in multiple
categories so that bash could be part of both the "Base" dependency and
the "Shells" dependency.

I'll send the list of package, a proposed category, and dependencies
in another message.