Re: perl-5.6.0 ready for test! (IMPORTANT READ THIS MESSAGE ON MAINTAINER STATUS!)

Chris Faylor wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 22, 2000 at 05:08:10AM -0700, Earnie Boyd wrote:
> >--- Michael Ring <Michael.Ring@t-mobil.de> wrote:
> >> perl-5.6.0 is perl period ;-)
> >>
> >-8<-
> >>
> >> PACKAGING STATUS:
> >>
> >> When tested this package should go nowhere (or perhaps contrib) version 5.6.1
> >> should go to contrib
> >>

> >IMHO, automake, autoconf, libtool and perl should be a part of the base package
> >and therefore should go to the latest directory and not to the contrib
> >directory.  Perl is required by the other three and automake, autoconf and
> >libtool [are|have] becom[ing|e] a de facto standard.
>
> I sort of agree but I wonder if we're starting to fill up the hard disks of people
> who have no interest in doing development.

This will not be an issue once DJ's improvements to setup.exe are
complete.

> We're also growing the "support load" on cygwin@sourceware whenever we add a new
> package.

Now this is a real problem.  But the whole idea, I thought, of the
package system was to make it easier to add and maintain additional
packages.

I wonder if the answer is a series of non-subscribable mailing lists:

cygwin-autoconf
cygwin-automake
etc

You got a question about automake on cygwin, send mail to
cygwin-automake. The message does NOT get posted immediatly, but is
routed to whatever poor fool is supporting automake on cygwin. He/She
approves and answers the message, and now that question is archived.

This will lead to a LOT of very low-volume mailing lists.

When a new or updated package is announced, there will obviously be a
lot of immediate discussion on the main cygwin list, but the constant
background how-do-I would migrate to the app-specific lists.

Good idea? Bad idea? Tremendously stupid idea? Nice idea but would never
work in reality?

--Chuck