Updated: cvs-1.11.0-1

cvs has been updated to version 1.11.0-1.  CVS is the 'Concurrent
Versioning System', a widely-used package for maintianing revision
histories of source code.  This port is based on the official cvs-1.11
release, and requires that gdbm-1.8.0-3 or later be installed as well.

Several known issues are explained below, such as the 'cvs update: error
reading current
directory: Function not implemented' error.

CHANGES:

- updated to the 1.11 source

- wrote new wrapper code, so that database access uses only a single
gdbm-file, not two synchronized ndbm-style .pag/.dir files.  Hopefully,
this means that you can now host a repository on Win9x -- but I can't
test that myself.

***********************************
****                           ****
**** SEE URGENT warning below. ****
****                           ****
***********************************

INSTALLATION:

To update your installation, click on the "Install Cygwin now" link on
the http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin web page.  This downloads setup.exe
to your system.

Run setup and answer all of the questions.  PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE
choose a mirror site for your download.  The 'sources.redhat.com' site
is badly overloaded.  The mirrors below have the latest version of this
package:

ftp://ftp.sunsite.utk.edu/pub/cygwin/ (US)
ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/cygwin/mirrors/cygnus/
(Germany)
ftp://ftp.ntua.gr/pub/pc/cygwin/ (Greece)

The setup.exe program will figure out what needs to be updated on your
system and should install the less package automatically.

If you have questions or comments, please send them to the Cygwin
mailing list at:  cygwin@sources.redhat.com .  I would appreciate if you
would use this mailing list rather than emailing me directly. This
includes ideas and comments about the setup utility or Cygwin general.

If you want to make a point or ask a question the Cygwin mailing list is
the appropriate place.

              *** CYGWIN-ANNOUNCE UNSUBSCRIBE INFO ***

If you want to unsubscribe to the cygwin-announce mailing list, look at
the "List-Unsubscribe: " tag in the email header of this message. Send
email to the address specified there.  It will be in the format:

NOTES:

o updated to the 1.11 source

o requires cyggdbm.dll from gdbm-1.8.0-3 package

o Abides by the cygwin package system standard:
  - cygwin-specific docs in /usr/doc/Cygwin/cvs-1.11.0.README
  - generic docs in /usr/doc/cvs-1.11.0/*

o A cygwin-specific README and PATCH are stored in the source archive,
under <top>/CYGWIN-PATCHES/* (although that patch has already been
applied to the archive itself). The cygwin-specific README is also
installed by the binary distribution as described above.

o cvs-1.11.0 installs into /usr/bin, so if you've got an older version
(such as the one from cygutils) in /usr/local/bin make sure you're using
the new version, and that the /usr/local/bin version isn't hiding the
new version.

o wrote new wrapper code, so that database access uses only a single
gdbm-file, not two synchronized ndbm-style .pag/.dir files.  Hopefully,
this means that you can now host a repository on Win9x -- but I can't
test that myself.

***********************************
****                           ****
****      URGENT WARNING       ****
****                           ****
***********************************

This means that if you have been using cvs-1.10.8 previously on WinNT
and have been hosting a local repository, you MUST convert the
modules.pag/modules.dir and val-tags.pag/val-tags.dir files in
${CVSROOT}/CVSROOT (if they exist) to modules.db and val-tags.db.  Use
this script:

  #!/bin/sh
  cd ${CVSROOT}/CVSROOT
  conv2gdbm modules modules.db
  conv2gdbm val-tags val-tags.db

Supposedly, conv2gdbm does not modify the 'source' database
(foo.pag/foo.dir) -- but I'd make a backup if I were you.

If you have never used cvs before -- please do some research before
asking 'how-do-I' questions.  Here's the really short version:
  <unpack the binary distro, then>
  export CVSROOT=/usr/local/src/CVS
  cvs init

o test reports and user comments appear below.

--Chuck

------- Test reports from running 'make check'
------- cygwin-1.1.4 on W2Ksp1, CYGWIN=tty binmode ntsec
------- all drives mounted binary

You can only run the 'official' tests if you download the source archive
(cvs-1.11.0-1-src.tar.gz) and build cvs yourself.  In any case, here are
some notes from my personal tests, running the 'make check' suite of
tests. This took several hours to complete.

Of the many hundreds of tests, cvs failed only the following:

  - join-readonly-conflict	(subtest 1)
  - modules			(subtest 148)  (stackdump)
  - errmsg1			(subtest 168)
  - binfiles3		(subtest 11)
  - rcs2			(subtest 7)
  - rcs3			(subtest 5)
     (failed assertion "key != NULL" at line 312 of file hash.c)

I didn't run the following four tests, because they require a remote
repository to which you have write access:
  - pserver
  - server
  - server2
  - client

To run the tests individually, don't type 'make check'. Instead, cd to
<top>/src and type:
  '/bin/sh ./sanity.sh `pwd`/cvs list-of-tests-to-run'

You can find the list of all tests inside sanity.sh starting at line
630.

This list of failures may be scary, but it's no worse (and only slightly
different) than the older cygwin port of cvs-1.10.8-2. I'd appreciate
any reports of success or failure using this version.

------- also included in the readme
------- but, since nobody reads that...

works for me for everything I've tried. For whatever that's worth.

------------------------
you can't maintain a local repository with cvs-1.10.8 under Win9x --
this has to do with the gdbm library and how it emulates 'ndbm'
functionality for cvs.

status: should be FIXED in cvs-1.11.0-1.

------------------------
At least one successful report of cvs-1.10.8 + Corinna's openSSH 2.1.1p4
from Norman Vine, on Win98.

1. untar the [OpenSSH] distribution
2. run the /usr/local/bin/ssh-config script
3. restart Cygwin
4. export CVS_RSH=ssh
5. and launch cvs

------------------------
Jason Tishler reports that cvs-1.10.8, with cygwin-1.1.4, is about half
as fast as a native Win32 port of CVS. IMO, that's pretty good...but
Trevor Forbes disagrees (see next item).

------------------------
cvs appears to upload the entire repository before doing an update.
Really slows down 'cvs -u'. Occurs only with post-Cygwin-CD cygwin
dll's. Using a clean CygwinCD installation, but with cvs-1.10.8-2 and
gdbm-1.8.0-2, no slowdown observed. Drop in a new cygwin1.dll from 1.1.0
or later, and slowdown happens. Reported by Trevor Forbes.

status: UNCONFIRMED. No known explanation.

------------------------
cvs can't do a checkout when pwd = '/'. Reported by Travis Howell
(Win98SE + cygwin1.1.3)

status: UNCONFIRMED. I cannot reproduce; it works okay for me
(W2K+cygwin1.1.4).

------------------------
cvs can't work with packages that contain files whose names are illegal
under MSWIN -- e.g. the eggdrop-1.5 package has a directory called
'AUX'. Reported by Travis Howell.

status: IGNORE. cvs isn't the right place to fix this. If it is to be
fixed, it should be done in the cygwin file access layer, not in cvs.
(Personally, I thing the maintainer of eggdrop and other poorly-behaved
packages should use names that are cross-platform compatible, but...)

addendum: Corinna sez 'Yep'.

------------------------
Jason Tishler reported that cvs gives annoying errors when using cvs in
client mode (e.g. using rsh) on Win98

$ cvs update
cvs update: error reading current directory: Function not implemented

but the update functions properly. The message is an annoyance, that's
all.

status: Should be FIXED in cygwin-1.1.5 (this is actually a cygwin
bug).  This error only affects client/server mode when using rsh on
Win9x.

------------------------
Jeffrey Juliano reports that cvs + ssh (e.g. CVS_RSH=ssh) hangs. He's
using Win98SE + cygwin-1.1.4. cvs-1.10.8-1 cygwin cvs client,
openSSH-2.1.1p4-2 cygwin ssh client, and cvs-1.10.7 IRIX server,
ssh.com's ssh-1.2.22 IRIX server with AFS patches.

status: UNCONFIRMED. no explanation -- only a guess that something funky
with OpenSSH-->sshd-1.2.22+AFS is causing problems. However, Norman Vine
reports successs using OpenSSH-2.1.1p4-2 and cvs-1.10.8-1.

addendum: *May* be FIXED by cygwin-1.1.5.  We'll have to wait and see.

Congratulations. You made it to the end of this message!