New Cygwin Net Release

We're pleased to announce a new Cygwin "net release" for the new
millenium.

(No, wait!  The millenium hasn't started yet!  Sure it has!  No
it hasn't!, etc.)

We'd like to call the release "Cygwin 1.1.0", but we can't.  That is
the version of the DLL which is available for download, but it does
not actually reflect a release version for everything.

Why not?

Well, because, in this release we've unbundled everything.  We are no
longer going to be making monolithic releases of the software.
Instead, when an update makes sense, we will be updating the
individual packages.

That means that if someone reports a problem with bash, the bash
maintainer will probably make a new version of bash available for
download.  Ditto, gcc, gdb, and, of course, cygwin1.dll.

The Cygnus (aka Red Hat) Cygwin crew and the cadre of net developers
have discussed this strategy for some time and we all agree that this
technique will help to improve the responsiveness to bugs and will
improve overall cygwin quality.

How do I get it?

The easiest way to retrieve everything is to go to

http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/mirrors.html

Choose the mirror nearest to you and click on the "latest" directory.
Click on the README.  Read it.  Wait thirty seconds.  Read it again.
If it gives you different instructions than this mail, do what it
says.

Then, download the setup.exe program TO A TEMPORARY DIRECTORY.

Shut down ALL CYGWIN APPLICATIONS (including inetd, etc.).

Then, IN A COMMAND WINDOW, use "cd" to change to that temporary
directory and type "setup.exe".

Setup will ask you where you want your root to be.  If you specify the
same directory as your current root.  YOUR CURRENT ROOT WILL BE
OVERWRITTEN.  There will be no recovery from this.  You may want to do
backups, and unmount your old mount points, to isolate them if you are
the paranoid type.

Regardless, the setup will reset your root (and a couple of other
mounts) to this directory, creating it if needed.

setup will then ask if you want to install from the internet or locally
from your disk.  This will come as no surprise to you since you've read
about this in the README.  If you download from the internet, the
setup.exe will retrieve the full cygwin installation.

Choosing a subset to install will require that you download individual
tar.gz files from the latest directory.  Collect whatever you want to
install in the temporary directory and then choose 'd' when prompted
for the installation method.

When setup.exe has completed, it should have created a
"Cygnus Solutions"->Cygwin 1.1.0 shortcut on your start menu.  It will
also have created a cygwin.bat file for invoking bash with various
environment variables set correctly.

As the readme mentions, setup.exe is still a work in progress.  It is
not perfect.  In particular, the "uninstall" option does not work
completely.  This means that you may have to uninstall pieces by hand.
We're working on this.

That's all that is required to install cygwin.  All that's left is to
describe the new features in this release.

A very incomplete list of new features is below.

Have fun with the new release.

Thanks,
The Cygwin Team

----------=----------

New in Cygwin 1.1.0

- CYGWIN=ntsec turns on improved security on NT.

- Up-to-date gcc 2.95.2 compiler

- Up-to-date mingw headers and libraries

- Improved Win32-compatible headers and libraries

- /dev/zero

- strace program replaces CYGWIN=strace

- Improved console I/O.

- Serial I/O now works better.

- Windows disk devices are now addresssible as /cygdrive/x.

- Cygwin version information available by right-clicking on cygwin DLL.

- Improved raw tape handling.

- Improved raw diskette handling.

- Improved handling of ptys.

- Improved handling of dynamically loaded DLLs in forked processes.

- Pipe, serial, console, and tty I/O are all now interruptible by signals.

- UNIX domain sockets.

- Improved handling of time/date.

- Improved stackdump format on program abort.

- Allow accessing more than one com port via com3, com4, com10, etc.

- Cygwin DLL is now thread-safe.

- New exports:

__mb_cur_max			    fchown
_ctype_				    gamma
_f_atan2			    gammaf
_f_atan2f			    glob
_f_exp				    globfree
_f_expf				    lacl
_f_frexp			    lchown
_f_frexpf			    lgamma
_f_ldexp			    lgammaf
_f_ldexpf			    pthread_attr_destroy
_f_log				    pthread_attr_getstacksize
_f_log10			    pthread_attr_init
_f_log10f			    pthread_attr_setstacksize
_f_logf				    pthread_continue
_f_pow				    pthread_create
_f_powf				    pthread_detach
_f_tan				    pthread_equal
_f_tanf				    pthread_exit
_sys_errlist			    pthread_getspecific
_sys_nerr			    pthread_join
acl				    pthread_key_create
aclcheck			    pthread_key_delete
aclfrommode			    pthread_kill
aclfrompbits			    pthread_mutex_destroy
aclfromtext			    pthread_mutex_init
aclsort				    pthread_mutex_lock
acltomode			    pthread_mutex_trylock
acltopbits			    pthread_mutex_unlock
acltotext			    pthread_self
alphasort			    pthread_setspecific
cygwin_conv_to_full_posix_path	    pthread_sigmask
cygwin_conv_to_full_win32_path	    pthread_suspend
cygwin_conv_to_posix_path	    scandir
cygwin_conv_to_win32_path	    seekdir
cygwin_posix_path_list_p	    sem_destroy
cygwin_posix_to_win32_path_list	    sem_init
cygwin_posix_to_win32_path_list_buf sem_post
cygwin_split_path		    sem_trywait
cygwin_stackdump		    sem_wait
cygwin_umount			    snprintf
cygwin_win32_to_posix_path_list	    telldir
cygwin_win32_to_posix_path_list_buf vsnprintf
facl